I've been adventurous lately and attempting several new recipes that are strangers to my taste buds. So far, I have enjoyed every one of them, as well as my husband. It's hit and miss with the 3 year old, but he's so picky still. Grapes and goldfish crackers are delicacies to him. So I'm going to share a slow cooker recipe for Chicken Stroganoff. You can serve it over noodles or rice. I made brown rice with a pinch of basil and a few good dashes of Worcestershire sauce in it while it simmered.

Chicken Stroganoff
Ingredients
6-8 chicken breasts (I used the frozen bag variety)
1/8 cup margarine
1/2 cup water
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
Dry Italian Dressing Mix.. add to desired taste.. look below this recipe for the Italian mixture ingredients, or use one .7 ounce packet bought in the store. I made my own since I did not have the store bought on hand.

Place the chicken, cream of chicken, margarine, and water into the crock pot. I then mixed together my dry Italian dressing mix and added about half of the recipe to it as well. Let slow cook for about 5-7 hours on low. 45 minutes before the cooking time is up, add the cream cheese.. make sure it melts into the sauce well.

If your sauce isn't as thick as you'd like, take some of the hot liquid from the crock pot and mix it into a bowl with a tablespoon or two of cornstarch. Mix it very well, you don't want clumps of cornstarch in your sauce! Then pour back into the crock pot, and stir.

If you'd like to make your own dry Italian mix, here is what I used, roughly:
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dry, minced onion
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
2 tablespoons salt

I used about 1/2 to 3/4 of the mixture in my stroganoff. Also added a pinch to the brown rice.

And everyone loved this! :D

*image pulled from AllRecipes.com because I forgot to take my own. Oops!


This entry was posted on 6:02 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: