Wow this past week has been so busy! My husband has been working 3rd shift weekends the past three weekends or so, so he has a huge gap of Monday through Thursday off. Not such good news for the cleanliness of my house, but it provides a great opportunity to get stuff done and to spend some time together.
My biggest accomplishment this week? Found shoes that actually fit my 11 month old's GIANT clod hopper feet! I swear that we probably tried 20 different shoes in 4 different stores. Boy, he was becoming very cranky by the end of our scavenger hunt, especially once we hit our last and final stop in utter desperation, Payless Shoes. He just wanted to play with the sunglasses and toddler backpacks hanging on the wall. (Why are these in Payless SHOES? Just wondering..) They had such cute Airwalks in black and lime green, wide fit, the right length, but the darn Velcro strap was too short once his fat foot was situated inside the shoe. It wouldn't hold. ARGH! So, we finally settled on a pair of white (OMG, I despise white on my kids. It looks adorable on them, don't get me wrong, but that is a one time "awww".. before it is tan, off white, eggshell, muddy, dirty, stained, blah2!@#%^!!!!) wide Champion shoes. They are cute on him, most definitely, and I have to giggle that my sweet little 11 month old is not very little and his shoes are not far off from being as wide as my own. OK, well maybe that's a little over-exaggerated, but not by much! So yay for fat baby shoes and grassless socks!
My second proud mommy moment and feeling of accomplishment was finding tons and tons of learning resources for the kids. We stopped at the post thrift store and found a marble run tower, or whatever those things are technically called, for a dollar! Tons of pieces and I'm sure close to 100 marbles. My three year old has had the best time building different routes for his marbles and watching them zig zag and whirl around to the bottom. We talked a little bit about why the marble goes down and not up, in preschooler terms. He didn't really care about that, just loved making intricate trails for the marbles to twist and turn down. :]
I also found a Hooked on Phonics I Can Read set for 1st Grade.. brand spankin' new, not even opened, at the post thrift store. It was marked as $4.50 and in the $1 bin.. I got it for $1. ;] Those brand new go for $40+ on Amazon.com so I seriously jumped all over it like white on rice. I know he's not in first grade and I know it will be a minute before he can use it, but for a dollar!!! That baby can sit in the closet and wait a few years for that price!
We stopped at Ross in our desperate search for the baby's fat feet shoes, seeing as I had got two awesome pairs for my preschooler there last fall. They had nothing as far as toddler shoes went, but boy did they have shelves FULL of educational resources, games, books, etc. I sent my husband after a buggy, lol.. I saved nearly $140 on $200 worth of stuff! SWEET! I love finding deals and steals!!
Another deal and steal we bagged was a little recycling truck "popper" toy for the baby's first birthday. We bought it on post because it had a price of $4.95! WOW! In the buggy it went, it was just too cute. My husband ended up checking out at the register while I went ahead to the car to change the baby's diaper, and he didn't realize we were charged $14.95 for it. I later realized this when I read the receipt two days later. Of course I marched back up to the store.. and sent hubby in. Turns out, the popper trucks are marked $4.95, but the sticker on the shelf reads $14.95. He went to customer service about it and honored the sticker on the toy and apologized, saying they had a new employee who was not very quick with numbers. That's $10 bucks I can use towards the kiddo's birthday! It really adds up!
Here is just SOME of our bargain hunting loot!
My biggest accomplishment this week? Found shoes that actually fit my 11 month old's GIANT clod hopper feet! I swear that we probably tried 20 different shoes in 4 different stores. Boy, he was becoming very cranky by the end of our scavenger hunt, especially once we hit our last and final stop in utter desperation, Payless Shoes. He just wanted to play with the sunglasses and toddler backpacks hanging on the wall. (Why are these in Payless SHOES? Just wondering..) They had such cute Airwalks in black and lime green, wide fit, the right length, but the darn Velcro strap was too short once his fat foot was situated inside the shoe. It wouldn't hold. ARGH! So, we finally settled on a pair of white (OMG, I despise white on my kids. It looks adorable on them, don't get me wrong, but that is a one time "awww".. before it is tan, off white, eggshell, muddy, dirty, stained, blah2!@#%^!!!!) wide Champion shoes. They are cute on him, most definitely, and I have to giggle that my sweet little 11 month old is not very little and his shoes are not far off from being as wide as my own. OK, well maybe that's a little over-exaggerated, but not by much! So yay for fat baby shoes and grassless socks!
My second proud mommy moment and feeling of accomplishment was finding tons and tons of learning resources for the kids. We stopped at the post thrift store and found a marble run tower, or whatever those things are technically called, for a dollar! Tons of pieces and I'm sure close to 100 marbles. My three year old has had the best time building different routes for his marbles and watching them zig zag and whirl around to the bottom. We talked a little bit about why the marble goes down and not up, in preschooler terms. He didn't really care about that, just loved making intricate trails for the marbles to twist and turn down. :]
We stopped at Ross in our desperate search for the baby's fat feet shoes, seeing as I had got two awesome pairs for my preschooler there last fall. They had nothing as far as toddler shoes went, but boy did they have shelves FULL of educational resources, games, books, etc. I sent my husband after a buggy, lol.. I saved nearly $140 on $200 worth of stuff! SWEET! I love finding deals and steals!!
Another deal and steal we bagged was a little recycling truck "popper" toy for the baby's first birthday. We bought it on post because it had a price of $4.95! WOW! In the buggy it went, it was just too cute. My husband ended up checking out at the register while I went ahead to the car to change the baby's diaper, and he didn't realize we were charged $14.95 for it. I later realized this when I read the receipt two days later. Of course I marched back up to the store.. and sent hubby in. Turns out, the popper trucks are marked $4.95, but the sticker on the shelf reads $14.95. He went to customer service about it and honored the sticker on the toy and apologized, saying they had a new employee who was not very quick with numbers. That's $10 bucks I can use towards the kiddo's birthday! It really adds up!
Here is just SOME of our bargain hunting loot!



0 comments: